The Perkins House was built by James Perkins, the founder of Colfax, in 1886. A cabin on the grounds built in 1870 is the oldest standing building in Whitman County. The house was the center of Colfax society between 1886 and 1920.
Much work has been done recently on the Perkins house to restore it to appropriate Victorian colors. The roof, which was also in very bad condition was completely replaced with cedar shakes like the original. The paint picks out the ornate detail of the house that tended to be obscured by the previous all white exterior. With the new paint, various architectural features stand out, in particular, the quoins on the corners of the house.
At the Ice Cream Social in 2001, Jeanette Sabo, granddaughter of James and Jenny Perkins, age 104, said that the house now looks just as she remembers it!
More remains to be done to restore the house. In the near future we will need to repair the foundation on the south side of the house. The kitchen porch is also in need of extensive repairs, and the house needs rewiring. Donations for this work would be greatly appreciated.
Please send them to The Whitman County Historical Society, PO Box 67, Colfax, WA 99111.
The Perkins House is also available for small weddings, bridal showers, anniversary parties, and other events in keeping with the Victorian atmosphere of the home. A modest cleaning fee is charged for use of the house.
Contact Steve Larkin (email@example.com). telephone: (509) 288-1420. The House is located at 623 North Perkins Avenue in Colfax